Lots of cats, freakism, the everyday life of an illustrator or the normality of the daily routine are some of the main topics which play an important role in the work of Frannerd or Fran Meneses, a Chilean artist who lives in London with her husband Ed and her two feline babies, Hamburguesa and Cereal.
Why do I love Frannerd?
Basically, I love Frannerd for some good reasons:
- I am a crazy animal lady too, and I see myself reflected in her drawings (even though I imagine myself with lots of guinea pigs instead of cats).
- I grew up watching and loving some of the cartoon series which star in her illustrations, like Sailor Moon or Arale.
- Her drawings are simply lovely.
- Her stories are fun.
- Her sketches are human.
- I was a nerd as well in both Primary and Secondary School. Well, I admit I’m still a bit of a nerd. Not for nothing I’m still studying via online while I work at the same time. I love learning.
- Because she visibilises women who don’t suit the “always perfect” stereotype (does any woman fit in that cliché anyway?), and who don’t care a monkey about walking down the street without makeup and a perfect outfit/look/whatever.
Lots of cartoons
And now, at last, I let you enjoy some of Frannerd’s illustrations. Hope you like them as much as I do!